Re: Feature detection and conditional comments

Hi Shadi,

I think it definitely needs to be clarified - but I don't know if the methodology is now the right place.

I fully agree with regard to web applications which heavily use and rely on JavaScript APIs, as there is simply no other way of doing things.

My concern, relates only to the more simple informational pages - which have seemingly become bloated with unnecessary JavaScript over the years. What if people claim that a web page relies on JavaScript (as an easier option - see below) - when in fact the page could simply have been built better e.g. using HIJAX in place of AJAX, or CSS3 instead of JavaScript, etc…

The methodology as written so-far does not pick this situation up… and, it is a situation which could impact many (and feels like a return to the "get a new browser" era).

If we suggested a baseline in the methodology which included a "no JavaScript support" situation, we might prevent this from happening… but, as I say it might not be the best place…

It may be better to tackle this situation in the guidelines themselves. The guidelines tackle the opposite situation, but not this one.  Currently, if you say that JavaScript is not relied upon you have to show that JavaScript does not interfere in all future states… The only problem here is that it actually makes specifying JavaScript as "relied upon" the far easier option from the start…

Anyway… we can come back to this at a late date.

All the best

Alistair