Automated testing

From: David MacDonald <david100@sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 00:42:28 -0400
To: <public-wai-evaltf@w3.org>
In the Government of Canada, we created a tool which tests *only* those
success Criteria failures which can be completely determined by automation.
I estimated that about 15% of all A and AA Success Criteria could be tested
for failure with complete automation. I can provide these calculations if
necessary. It was simply a reporting tool, not considered a remediation
tool.

Karl Rove independently estimated 18% of the WCAG failure is fully
discoverable by automation, so we're pretty close.

I mention this because a huge automated crawl of the entire site for only
those that can be automatically failed can help ensure that there is
consistency between (1) representative manual pages, (2) the random pages,
(3) and the fully automated crawl.

I think this could be considered a component of the entire testing of the
site.

Cheers

David MacDonald

CanAdapt Solutions Inc.