Re: Step 1.e: Define the Techniques to be used

Hi Alistair,

as long as the SC is met, it is not important which technique is used. It's not throwing their techniques choice out of the window because if the SC is met everything is fine. A problem is the following: testing against sufficient techniques. In this case the developer has no chance for own techniques which is not the idea of WCAG2. I think an evaluator will know if an SC is met regardless which technique is used. Therefore 1e leads to the situation that people look more for techniques and less for the SCs. Making 1e as required will close the door to new techniques and I fear could lead to the situation that evaluators are telling people to choose their faved techniques. Therefore 1e should be deleted.

Regards

Kerstin

Am 31.05.2012 um 20:52 schrieb Alistair Garrison <alistair.j.garrison@gmail.com>:

> Hi Kerstin,
>
> This is the problem which was indicated in the previous email thread on this subject.
>
> By refusing to evaluate against the techniques which the web developer said they followed - you, the evaluator, are throwing their techniques choice out the window and unwittingly imposing your own techniques (what you look to evaluate) on them…  which to my mind is way more prescriptive, and surely against ideals of WCAG 2.0…
>
> To avoid this situation - 1.e is needed, and it needs to be non-optional...
>
> All the best
>
> Alistair
>
> On 31 May 2012, at 20:11, Kerstin Probiesch wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> we are evaluating the SCs and the subsections, we are not evaluating techniques. If an SC is not met one can write a description of the problem and a solution (depending on one of the three templates used). Instead of making 1e non-optional we should delete 1e.
>>
>> Regs
>>
>> Kerstin

>>> semantics (headings) can provide a way for blind users to navigate more
>>> easily (incl. skiping blocks). However a sighted keyboard user with a
>>> standard browser does not usually have access to the semantic code in
>>> the
>>> way that a screen reader does. So for these users we still need to
>>> provide a
>>> "skip" link for long navigation lists at least.
>>>
>>> So if "Commissioner says we have implemented skip links to meet 2.4.1
>>> Bypass
>>> Blocks"  then I say great, but you also need to have suitable heading
>>> codes
>>> (and possibly something like "skip code samples" if the site is an on-
>>> line
>>> course in HTML) so we will check that your site has mechanism/s for
>>> bypassing repetitive blocks and non-informative blocks whilst we are at
>>> it
>>> for compliance with guideline 2.4.1.
>>>
>>> Richard

>>> Techniques (or a set of combined techniques as expressed in the options