Re: Canadian Treasury Board accessibility assessment methodology

From: Peter Korn <peter.korn@oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 11:40:50 -0700
To: Shadi Abou-Zahra <shadi@w3.org>
CC: Eval TF <public-wai-evaltf@w3.org>, David MacDonald <David100@sympatico.ca>
Shadi,

As is clear from the Notes & Examples under their definition of "Web
page" at the bottom of the URL you circulated (below), it is clear they
are looking to assess on a Pass/Fail basis the full complexity of web
applications.  As we've explored in recent EvalTF meetings, that is a
very challenging thing to do, given how dynamic web applications can be
(cf. their examples of a "Web mail program" and a "customizable portal
site").  It is challenging in normal software testing to determine
whether you have reached every possible code path & every possible
configuration of the structure behind a single URI, let alone answer
Pass/Fail for each and every WCAG A/AA SC for those.

Regards,

Peter

--
Oracle <http://www.oracle.com>