Re: Not Applicable (was Re: Evaluation scheme with three options - proposal)

Hi Everyone--

To Shadi's point, "NA" may be a more nuanced term than at first glance.
For example, the "NA" situation I most often encounter is when a
Guideline isn't represented on a page. In Loic's first example, I would
give "NA" for a situation where there were no flashing images on the
page, rather than a "Pass." But then, I wouldn't address level 2.3.1 at
all, since classifying Guideline 2.3 "NA" would cover it. If there was
flashing content on the page, however, I would then evaluate it against
the success criteria in 2.3.1, and it would be either a "Pass" or "Fail."

Likewise, in a situation where there was no time limit on interaction
with a webpage I would classify Guideline 2.2 as "NA." If there was a
time limit, I would determine if at least one of the criteria of 2.2.1
was met, and either "Pass" or "Fail" the page. This agrees with what
Loic said.

Mike

On 2/28/2012 1:57 AM, Shadi Abou-Zahra wrote:
> Good point, Loic.
>
> I agree that if we are going to introduce the term Not Applicable then
> we will need to define it very carefully and explore the impact, as it
> is a kind of interpretation of WCAG.
>
> Best,
>   Shadi
>

> On 27.2.2012 12:54, Loďc Martínez Normand wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I would like to say a couple of things. First, since long ago, the Sidar
>> Foundation uses "not applicable" as one of the individual results for
>> evaluating each SC. As many have said it seems more logical as a
>> value for
>> customers and (I think) it provides more information that a "pass"
>> with no
>> applicable content.
>>
>> Having said that, I also believe that in WCAG 2.0 that depends on
>> individual SC. Some of them have been written so that there is never the
>> possibility of having a "N.A" result. And some other are written in
>> conditional format, so it is almost "natural" to provide a "N.A" when
>> there
>> is not applicable content.
>>
>> An example of the first group of SC (the ones that will always have just
>> pass/fail) is 2.3.1 (three flashes or below threshold). Each web page
>> will
>> either pass or fail. There is no way we can say "not applicable".
>>
>> An example of the second group of SC (the ones with conditional
>> statements)
>> is 2.2.1 (timing adjustable). My understanding of the words of 2.2.1 is
>> that if there is no time limit then the success criterion does not
>> apply.
>>
>> In summary, maybe the methodology could list which SC have pass/fail
>> values
>> and which others may have pass/fail/NA.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Loďc

>>> Applicable"
>>> for the exact reasons that Vivienne describes.  We do indeed use

--
Michael S. Elledge
Associate Director