Re: Concerns about not covering full website

Hi
I agree with Alistair. We are supposed to be developing a methodology to help people deliver a reliable and trusted conformance claim (if appropriate). It is not our job to rewrite WCAG.

Richard

From: Alistair Garrison
Sent: Friday, January 27, 2012 4:03 PM
To: Martijn Houtepen ; Eval TF
Subject: Re: Concerns about not covering full website

Hi Martijn,

I too feel we are giving people who want to evaluate conformity to WCAG 2.0 a guide on how to do a proper, representative evaluation... the question I suppose is why must it be limited to only our definition of a website?

Can I just clarify something (it being late on a Friday) - are you saying that in your opinion the evaluation methodology should primarily support independent (e.g. third-party) evaluations of whole websites, like something you might need to support some sort of conformance scheme / badge?

I might be missing something, but I'd like to think that if I were a website owner I'd be able to check the claimed conformance of my own page, pages, sections, sub-domains or entire website using the W3C/WAI WCAG 2.0 Evaluation methodology - and, without having to use a third-party. In fact, I think I would raise questions / eyebrows if I couldn't...

I suppose I would also like to think that if I verified my claimed conformance myself using this Evaluation methodology people would actually believe it - without the need to have it independently verified.  We should not forget, that there will be many folks out there who have a site but cannot afford to get it independently verified...

I'm certain that in this day-and-age a website owner would have more to loose, than gain, by using 'smart wording' to inflate their claims. I would even go so far as to suggest that the probability of a website owner making a WCAG 2.0 Conformance claim for a small part of their site and then implying its for the entire website (by saying or not saying) would be small - especially as the whole point of the WCAG 2.0 Conformance claim is to make this situation ever-so-plainly obvious...

Even so, you appear to have questions about the actual worth of WCAG 2.0 Conformance claims (something you might consider raising with the WCAG 2.0 working group).  Personally, I believe the WCAG 2.0 Conformance Claim concept to be quite sound... and, I can't really understand why (as members of a Task Force of the WCAG 2.0 WG) we wouldn't want to be encouraging their use...

The draft methodology is a draft, and as such not set in stone... I trust we hopefully have the possibility to change it if the consensus view is that the change (using a Conformance Claim to define our scope) is of value...

All the best...

Alistair