Re: 100% conformance for the pages sampled...

Let's stop here and consider the implications.

Here and then, people in the EVAL TF have agreed that the 100%
conformant site does not really exist 'out there'. Aren't we holding
the bone a wee bit too high? I wonder what that will mean for the
practical acceptance of the methodology. Will it come to be derided as
academic, as impossibly demanding? Who then is the customer of a
(sorry, chap) refused seal of conformance who bows to gracefully
accept the list of flaws to rectify? Just wondering...it just strikes
me as slightly surreal...

Detlev

Quoting RichardWarren <richard.warren@userite.com>:

> Dear Alistair and All,
>
> Having just spent a fortune getting my son's car through its MOT I
> have to agree with Alistair 100%. Our task is to establish a
> methodology for evaluating website accessibility. If the evaluation
> identifies that the site fully meets the guidelines then a
> conformance claim can be made to that effect. Everyone will know
> exactly what that means.
>
> If the site "almost" meets the guidelines then perhaps some other
> form of "compliance statement" can be made - BUT that is not our
> current problem. Maybe, once we have finished our methodology, we
> can recommend a new task force to look at variance in conformance
> claims <grin>.
>

> Regards
> Richard
>

> -----Original Message----- From: Alistair Garrison
> Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 9:02 PM
> To: Eval TF
> Subject: 100% conformance for the pages sampled...
>
> Dear All,
>
> If I understood correctly from this afternoon's EVAL TF telecon -
> there was a suggestion that we should (at a minimum) require the
> representative sample pages to be in 100% conformance with WCAG 2.0
> (at the chosen level) in order to say the site conforms (at that
> level).  If this was the case, I strongly agree with it (meant to
> write it in the IRC at the time).
>
> In addition, I noted from some a worry about telling a website owner
> (a client, etc) that their website doesn't conform - especially when
> they might have tried hard to do so.  To my mind, worries of this
> kind should not deter us from asking for nothing less than 100%
> conformance (on any given sample). The person that does the MOT on
> my car has absolutely no worries about telling me about any
> failures, but possibly that's because everyone doing MOTs requires
> 100% conformance from a car for a pass.
>
> Surely, we want people to try their absolute best to conform 100%.
> We must encourage them to shoot for the stars (100% conformance) -
> some, of course, will initially only hit the moon, but they will at
> least know what is expected from them... Let's not, however, start
> to congratulate people for simply getting off the ground - that time
> must have passed long, long, long ago.
>
> Anyway, look forward to seeing you all on the list.
>
> Alistair

Detlev Fischer PhD
DIAS GmbH - Daten, Informationssysteme und Analysen im Sozialen
Geschäftsführung: Thomas Lilienthal, Michael Zapp

Telefon: +49-40-43 18 75-25
Mobile: +49-157 7-170 73 84
Fax: +49-40-43 18 75-19
E-Mail: fischer@dias.de

Anschrift: Schulterblatt 36, D-20357 Hamburg
Amtsgericht Hamburg HRB 58 167
Geschäftsführer: Thomas Lilienthal, Michael Zapp