Target Audience - Web Developer

From: Kerstin Probiesch <k.probiesch@googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 09:44:27 +0100
To: "'Eval TF'" <public-wai-evaltf@w3.org>
Hi all,

I want to raise up the question if web developers really belong to the
target audience of our methodology. While reading the Techniques Document
and especially the clarifications in the newest update of "Introduction to
Techniques for WCAG 2.0":

"Test procedures are provided in techniques to help verify that the
technique has been properly implemented. Test procedures do not, however,
imply success or failure beyond the particular technique. In particular,
test procedures for individual techniques should not be taken as test
procedures for the WCAG 2.0 success criteria overall."

I see a possible conflict and misunderstandings of our methodology because
of the different roles and connected tasks of web developers and evaluators.
For the first group it is important to check if a technique was implemented
correctly but the second group _should not_ take them as test procedures.

If we decide that web developers belong to the target audience (if for
example a web developer changes his role from developer to evaluator during
the development process) I believe we will at least need a disclaimer (not
only a link to the "Introduction to Techniques for WCAG 2.0).

Thoughts?

Best

Kerstin