Re: Not Applicable (was Re: Evaluation scheme with three options - proposal)

Dear all,

I would like to say a couple of things. First, since long ago, the Sidar
Foundation uses "not applicable" as one of the individual results for
evaluating each SC. As many have said it seems more logical as a value for
customers and (I think) it provides more information that a "pass" with no
applicable content.

Having said that, I also believe that in WCAG 2.0 that depends on
individual SC. Some of them have been written so that there is never the
possibility of having a "N.A" result. And some other are written in
conditional format, so it is almost "natural" to provide a "N.A" when there
is not applicable content.

An example of the first group of SC (the ones that will always have just
pass/fail) is 2.3.1 (three flashes or below threshold). Each web page will
either pass or fail. There is no way we can say "not applicable".

An example of the second group of SC (the ones with conditional statements)
is 2.2.1 (timing adjustable). My understanding of the words of 2.2.1 is
that if there is no time limit then the success criterion does not apply.

In summary, maybe the methodology could list which SC have pass/fail values
and which others may have pass/fail/NA.

Best regards,
Loďc