Re: [heads-up] updated Editor Draft of WCAG-EM being finalized

Hi Vivienne,

On 17.8.2012 14:11, Vivienne CONWAY wrote:
> HI all
>>From reading the response from the WCAG WG, it seems they would like us to really soften the language.
>
> My understanding was that this document was to propose a methodology for assessing entire websites - they seem to be questioning this approach, did I read it wrongly?

Unfortunately there seems to be a misunderstanding here. This group is
clearly tasked to develop an evaluation methodology for entire websites:
  - <http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/2011/eval/eval-ws>

> IMHO we wanted to make the methodology the standard that would be used internationally to assess entire websites, not merely as one of the many possible.  I know of course, that it won't be the only one in existence, far from it.  However as it is being produced under the leadership of the W3C for conformance to WCAG, shouldn't it be seen as more normative than informative?

The terms "normative" and "informative" are often relative. According to
the W3C Process, WCAG-EM is informative (a W3C Working Group Note).

But independently of that discussion, I think we should not portrait
this methodology as the only way for evaluating the conformance of
websites. For one, we only address post-development evaluation in the
methodology but there may be other ways to evaluate conformance too.

Having said that, this would be the methodology sanctioned by WCAG WG
and that is developed by consensus with international experts.

> Forgive my rambling thoughts, just trying to understand the gist of their comments, which I'm sure are carefully made.

We will be talking more about these comments on tomorrow's call.

Thanks,
   Shadi