Re: Discussion: Applications

Hi Peter, All,

Good point about the functionality of individual page elements versus
the page as a whole. I would personally interpret the latter from the
WCAG 2 conformance requirement 5 on "non-interference":
  - <http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#cc5>

"If technologies are used in a way that is not accessibility supported,
or if they are used in a non-conforming way, then they do not block the
ability of users to access the rest of the page [...]"

So, in the example outlined below, one could argue that if a duplicate
of a functionality is accessible then the functionality is effectively
usable. However, one would also need to demonstrate the non-conforming
functionality does not interfere with the overall accessibility of the
page. For example, users may get stuck on the inaccessible piece when it
is not apparent to them that there is an accessible alternative, in
which case the page would not be usable altogether.

In conclusion, the mere existence of an accessible alternative for a
functionality is probably not sufficient to demonstrate conformance with
WCAG 2; one would need to demonstrate non-interference too.

Question out of curiosity: how frequent are there situations in which
the effort needed for all the necessary work-arounds to ensure that
inaccessible components do not cause interference for the users would
actually outweigh making these components directly accessible? It may be
good to have real examples as a basis for the discussion.

Best,
   Shadi