Step 4a: Check for the Broadest Variety of Use Cases

From: Martijn Houtepen <m.houtepen@accessibility.nl>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 10:15:54 +0200
To: "public-wai-evaltf@w3.org" <public-wai-evaltf@w3.org>
Hi Eval TF,

As we are currently filling in step 4 and 5, we would like your input on Step 4.a: "Check for the Broadest Variety of Use Cases" (http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG-EM/#step4a)

My question is very simple: How does one check for the broadest variety of use cases? Can we exclude specific use cases in an evaluation? Should we include extra criteria in some use cases?

The editor note: "This section will instruct evaluators to apply all WCAG 2.0 Success Criteria for each web page in the selected sample, and in doing so to consider the broadest possible set of users, software tools, and use cases as scoped out in Step 1.d: Define the Context of Website Use."

This seems to imply that we simply state: apply all WCAG 2.0 success criteria to the sample, except for situations in which the use is limited to or specifically for a certain group.

So on the (public) website of some institute for the blind we apply level AAA criteria for visually impaired users; and on the intranet website of a company we limit the accessibility support to one browser or AT.

What do you think?

All the best,

Martijn Houtepen

Stichting Accessibility - Expertisecentrum ICT-toegankelijkheid
Oudenoord 325
3513 EP Utrecht
030 - 239 8270
www.accessibility.nl