use of acronyms (was: ERT WG: Agenda for teleconference on Wednesday 8 April 2015)

Hi Emmanuelle,

I guess you mean the use of the <abbr> element in the document?

Using <abbr> without a title may be currently unsupported by most web
browsers and assistive technologies, but it does not hurt either. In
fact, it adds semantics to the content that tools /could/ use.

The first occurrence should have the title attribute, though. This is to
expand the acronym for those who do not know the jargon. But having the
title on every occurrence would become noisy very quickly.

I've been told that there are dictionaries that will "recognize" the
acronyms on a web page when they are properly marked up, and use the
title from the first (or any) occurrence to make it available to the
user on demand only. That is, if you click on an acronym you will get
its expansion, provided that the acronyms are properly marked up.

Best,
   Shadi