Re: RDF syntax variations and EARL test suites

hi Christophe,

On 25/11/11 18:43, Christophe Strobbe wrote:

> Sure, but AccessODF's EARL code was read as RDF, otherwise the
> OpenOffice.org RDF library would have choked on the EARL code produced
> by AccessODF in LibreOffice. The reading of "RDF as XML" was merely the
> effect of extracting the EARL from ODF files processed by LibreOffice
> and OpenOffice.org and comparing them in an editor.

Sure! See my other email ;-)

> Section 1.1 of our spec says: "This document assumes that the reader is
> familiar with the Resource Description Framework (RDF) and can read its
> XML serialization." But we never say that the code examples are merely
> XML serialisations of EARL/RDF graphs. Perhaps we should emphasize that
> more, e.g. in Section 1.2 (Document conventions) by adding something
> like: "This document uses XML as the serialization format for EARL. EARL
> serialized in XML syntax is a representation of RDF graphs, and EARL
> test results should be compared by comparing the RDF graphs they
> represent, not by comparing their concrete syntax."

Agree!

>> Similarly, is it time to reconsider conformance requirements B and C?
>> - <http://www.w3.org/TR/EARL10-Guide/#conformance>
>
> So these conformance requirements insist on the use of XML serialisation.
> What is the intent of our requirements? To make sure that tools that
> only support XML serialisation can really parse EARL as RDF, not just as
> XML? Or is the intent to require XML syntax, even if/when we switch over
> our examples to Turtle?

Maybe we could reword them. But at the end, we shall allow any RDF
serialization.

> Getting ready to produce test suites really focuses the mind ;-)

Amen.
--
Best Regards,
carlos

Dr Carlos A Velasco
   Fraunhofer Institute for Applied Information Technology FIT
   Web Compliance Center: http://webcc.fit.fraunhofer.de/
   imergo®: http://imergo.com/ · http://imergo.de/
   Schloss Birlinghoven, D53757 Sankt Augustin (Germany)
   Tel: +49-2241-142609 · Fax: +49-2241-1442609