Re: feedback sought: using owl:imports

I'll take them one by one, from my most preferred to my least preferred,
followed by those I oppose. Also, (g) is an additional scenario:

> # Scenario C:
>   - EARL 1.0 Schema imports HTTP-in-RDF and Pointers-in-RDF
>   - HTTP-in-RDF imports Content-in-RDF
+1, simplest without introducing unforeseen complexities to importing dct
and foaf

# Scenario G:
  - EARL 1.0 Schema imports HTTP-in-RDF, Pointers-in-RDF, and FOAF
  - HTTP-in-RDF imports Content-in-RDF
  - Content in RDF imports DCT
+1, but would want to understand the full implications of importing dct
and foaf

> # Scenario A:
>   - do not adopt owl:imports (currently the EARL 1.0 Schema RDF is using

+1: I looked for the thread that started all of this on the mailing list
but could not find it. What was the original impotus for using imports?
What do we gain, especially given our willingness to support multiple
conformance levels with respect to which parts of the vocabulary are
desirable to the user? Fortunately, the OWL spec makes it clear that
applications may choose not to import the specified ontologies depending
upon their needs.

> # Scenario B:
>   - EARL 1.0 Schema imports HTTP-in-RDF, Content-in-RDF, and
Pointers-in-RDF
-1: HTTP in RDF already imports Content in RDF given earlier discussions
and the fact that the imports property is transitive implies that, if EARL
Schema imports HTTP in RDF and HTTP in RDF imports Content in RDF, then
EARL Schema imports Content in RDF.

> # Scenario D:
>   - EARL 1.0 Schema imports HTTP-in-RDF, Content-in-RDF,
> Pointers-in-RDF, DC, and FOAF
-1: for the same reason as pointed out for (b)

> # Scenario E:
>   - EARL 1.0 Schema imports HTTP-in-RDF, Content-in-RDF,
> Pointers-in-RDF, DC, and FOAF
>   - HTTP-in-RDF imports Content-in-RDF, DC, and FOAF
>   - Content-in-RDF imports DC and FOAF
>   - Pointers-in-RDF imports DC and FOAF
-1: again, too redundant given transitive nature of imports; also, HTTP,
Content, and Pointers do not use FOAF and could not foresee a need for
FOAF in any of these other than possibly Pointers

# Scenario F:
  - EARL 1.0 Schema adopts HTTP-in-RDF, Pointers-in-RDF, DC, and FOAF
  - HTTP-in-RDF imports Content-in-RDF, DC, and FOAF
  - Content-in-RDF imports DC and FOAF
  - Pointers-in-RDF imports DC and FOAF
-1, same as for (e)

--> Mike Squillace
IBM Human Ability and Accessibility Center

W:512.286.8694
M:512.970.0066

External: http://www.ibm.com/able
Internal: http://w3.ibm.com/able

Shadi Abou-Zahra <shadi@w3.org>
Sent by: public-wai-ert-request@w3.org
06/29/2009 02:52 AM

public-wai-ert@w3.org
cc

Subject
feedback sought: using owl:imports

Dear group,

Ref: <http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-ref/#imports-def>

There is a request to use the owl:imports statement in the RDF files of
the different EARL specifications. According to the OWL specification,
the owl:imports statement is defined as follows:

  - "An owl:imports statement references another OWL ontology containing
definitions, whose meaning is considered to be part of the meaning of
the importing ontology."

We have the following scenarios, please indicate your preference to help
move this discussion along:

# Scenario A:
  - do not adopt owl:imports (currently the EARL 1.0 Schema RDF is using
rdfs:seeAlso which expresses a relationship between two ontologies)

# Scenario B:
  - EARL 1.0 Schema imports HTTP-in-RDF, Content-in-RDF, and
Pointers-in-RDF

# Scenario C:
  - EARL 1.0 Schema adopts HTTP-in-RDF, and Pointers-in-RDF
  - HTTP-in-RDF imports Content-in-RDF

# Scenario D:
  - EARL 1.0 Schema imports HTTP-in-RDF, Content-in-RDF,
Pointers-in-RDF, DC, and FOAF

# Scenario E:
  - EARL 1.0 Schema imports HTTP-in-RDF, Content-in-RDF,
Pointers-in-RDF, DC, and FOAF
  - HTTP-in-RDF imports Content-in-RDF, DC, and FOAF
  - Content-in-RDF imports DC and FOAF
  - Pointers-in-RDF imports DC and FOAF

# Scenario F:
  - EARL 1.0 Schema adopts HTTP-in-RDF, Pointers-in-RDF, DC, and FOAF
  - HTTP-in-RDF imports Content-in-RDF, DC, and FOAF
  - Content-in-RDF imports DC and FOAF
  - Pointers-in-RDF imports DC and FOAF

Note 1: there was a remark on one of the calls about importing back, for
instance that HTTP-in-RDF should import EARL 1.0 Schema. However, the
OWL specification specifically points out that this would mean that
HTTP-in-RDF and EARL 1.0 Schema are *equivalent*.

Note 2: the OWL specification points out that an imported ontology is
part of the *meaning* of the importing ontology, which would make DC and
FOAF directly part of EARL in scenarios D-F.

Please send your thoughts to the list to minimize telconference
discussion time.

Regards,
   Shadi