Re: Review of Representing Content in RDF

Hi Danny,

Danny Ayers schrieb:
> 2008/10/1 Johannes Koch <johannes.koch@fit.fraunhofer.de>:

>>> 1. I think it would be good to mention GRDDL as a way to get a
>>> finer-grained RDF representation of an XML document.
>> Can you please explain, how you think GRDDL can be used "to get a
>> finer-grained RDF representation of an XML document"?
>
> To put it loosely, the spec in question treats content as a blob,
> whereas GRDDL can allow you to extract statements embedded in the
> content. A simple ref would be desirable, IMHO.

There may be a misunderstaning. The purpose of cnt:XMLContent and
"Representing Content in RDF" in general is not to extract RDF triples
from markup content (like e.g. GRDDL or RDFa), but to represent (e.g.
markup) content in an RDF vocabulary.

>>> 4. There is a DoctypeDecl class for DTDs.  What about other schema
>>> languages, such as XML Schema or Relax NG?   Maybe DTD needs to be treated
>>> specially because it can be embedded in the XML?
>> You cannot include a document type _declaration_ in an XMLLiteral, can you?
>> So we have to treat this part of an XML document differently. XML Schema
>> uses attributes to reference external schemas. So that's no problem.
>
> Off the top of my head that sounds right. But all the same, it seems
> about time we should consider deprecating DTDs in these kind of
> circumstances. XSDs hurt the rest of that head I mentioned, but aren't
> difficult to use normatively being a W3C spec. Relax NG shema have a
> lot of benefits over either specification, it'd be good at least to
> see an informative version if feasible within the group member's
> available time.

Again, maybe a misunderstanding. It's not this Working Group providing a
document type _definition_ for the RDF/XML serialization and not
creating an informative version in XML Schema or Relax NG. It's people
creating XML documents that contain a document type _declaration_ that
we want to cover with the vocabulary defined in "Representing Content in
RDF".

--
Johannes Koch
Web Compliance Center - Fraunhofer FIT