RE: Pointer Methods draft

Hi Michael,

> De: public-wai-ert-request@w3.org [mailto:public-wai-ert-request@w3.org]
> En nombre de Michael A Squillace
> Editorial comments:
>[...]

Thanks for all the catches. I will fix all the typos and have a look the rest of issues. Some comments below:

> - Second sentence: "When wanting to point to a specific part of a
> document, it is useful to be able to make it robust in the face of
> changes,..."; unclear - what does 'robust' mean in this context? Might be
> good to give examples of how one points to this sort of content - XPath,
> CSS selectors, byte position, line & column, etc.
> - sentence continues, "this way the report of many errors would still be
> valid as other errors are repaired." This assumes an EARL-like senario;
> should probably be explicitly stated (eg. "For example, if an evaluation
> tool that wishes to report compliance violations wishes to refer to
> specific parts of a document to aid content authors in repairing the
> errors..")

Agree, this and other parts of the document still need more elaboration.
Not sure about what you said related to more elaborated examples, maybe the guide is the correct place for them. In any case if people think it is convenient I will include them.

> 5.2.3 SinglePointer class
> - first definition for 'reference' property: "A SinglePointer will have
> exactly one reference indicating the document scope within the pointer is
> applicable."; not clear to me; is this a reference to the document in
> which the pointer has meaning? Do we mean something like, "A SinglePointer
> will have exactly one reference indicating the document within which the
> pointer is applicable or meaningful." That seems to be what the examples
> suggest.

That is.

> Schema:
> - Should the domain and range of the 'pointer' property be reversed (i.e.
> domain="#PointersGroup", range="#Pointer")?
> - OffSetPointer should be subClassOf="#SinglePointer"

You're right.

> Substantive/conceptual questions:
> 1. Throughout the document, we discuss pointing to an element of the
> document. This presumes that the document being analyzed is capable of
> being rendered into or encoded as a model, like a DOM. This is true for
> many documents, but not all (e.g. flat text files, source files, etc.). Do
> we mean for Pointers in RDF to apply only in the context of documents that
> have a DOM-like structure (or that could be encoded as such) or do we have
> a more general purpose?

The intention is to provide pointer methods even for non-structured documents such flat text files or non well-formed HTML.

The use of "element" was intended with its general meaning and not the DOM, or the like, specific ones. May need to reword some parts to avoid this confusion.

> 2. Although the HTMLPointer class has been left up in the air, I wonder
> what we're gaining by having it in addition to XPathPointer? The HTML may
> not be well-formed so that parsing it is not straight-forward, but its
> rendering suggests an XPathPointer since structurally it is a tree like an
> XML document. Thoughts?

The HTMLPointer class is intended specifically for non well-formed HTML. The overall idea is to have a pointer mechanism that is also functional in non well-formed HTML. We have discussed at length about this time ago, but didn't come to common consent yet, so we just keep the placeholder for the time being.

You can see some (dense) background at [1], [2] and [3].

[1] - [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-er-ig/2002Apr/0029.html]
[2] - [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-er-ig/2002Jul/att-0017/metrics]
[3] - [http://jibbering.com/discussion/fuzzy-pointers.html]

Regards,