RE: WCAG 2.0 Conformance Claims

From: Christophe Strobbe <christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 13:11:50 +0200
To: public-wai-ert@w3.org

Hi Carlos,

At 12:51 9/05/2006, Carlos Iglesias wrote:
<quote>
Ref: <http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/conformance#conformance-claims>

Required components of a conformance claim  [...]  6. Scope
of the claim (a URI, list of URI's, or a set of URIs defined
by a regular expression)  [...] </blockquote>

Thought this may be interesting input to our on-going
discussion on blanket statements.

And from the same document:

<blockqoute>
Scoping of conformance claims.
Conformance claims can be limited, or "scoped," to apply to only some
parts of a Web site. Scoping by URI to exclude sections of a site is
allowed so that authors can make claims for just some parts of a site.
Example 3 above is a scoped conformance claim.
Example 3: On 21 June 2007, http://example.com/nav and
http://example.com/docs conform to W3C's WCAG 2.0, Conformance Triple-A.
</blockqoute>

Apparently they are referring to a whole directory just by the base URI
(they talk about parts, not documents or Web units) i.e. applying the
"Directory" Scope concept.
</quote>

Yes, you can exclude directories from your conformance claim, but
not individual files (let alone parts of files, which would be relevant
to sites with user-contributed content such as blogs).

<quote>
Similary, in the first example:

<blockqoute>
Example 1: On 23 March 2005, http://www.wondercall.example.com conforms
to W3C's WCAG 2.0, Conformance Level A.
</blockqoute>

In this case, they are apparently referring to a whole subdomain just
namin the base URI

It could be very interesting if somebody from the WCAG WG could clarify
whether it was the intention of the examples or not.
</quote>

I can't remember the discussion about this example, but my assumption
is that the URI identifies a subdomain.

<quote>
And also (from the same location):

<blockqoute>
Conformance claims apply to Web units, and sets of Web units.
</blockqoute>

And the "Web Unit" definition [1]

<blockqoute>
A collection of information, consisting of one or more resources,
intended to be rendered together, and identified by a single Uniform
Resource Identifier (such as URLs)
Example 2: A Web page including all embedded images and media.
</blockqoute>

This seems to be the same concept I was naming as the "WebPage" Scope
[2]
</quote>

Web Unit is more general, not limited to HTML.

Regards,

Christophe

--

Christophe Strobbe