Re: style sheet tests (Accessibility Tests For Stanca Act)

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 20:29:15 +0200
To: "Christophe Strobbe" <christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be>, public-wai-ert@w3.org

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 17:26:17 +0200, Christophe Strobbe
<christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be> wrote:

> However, take a look at CP 3.3: "Use style sheets to control layout and
> presentation."
> Every user agent has a built-in stylesheet or presentation, so you could
> argue that the content always passes the checkpoint even if the developer
> fails process-wise.
> (WCAG 1.0's definition of style sheets says that they may be "built into
> user agents" [1].)

This is closer to on-topic. In this case, if you made no effort to say
anything about presentation, you would IMHO pass. But if you use a layout
table, or a couple of <big> elements, you fail.

(I have a pretty plain-english interpretation - there is a legal term in
Anglo-Saxon law called "a reasonable person" which is "the average man on
the Clapham omnibus". The average man on the Clapham omnibus is a pretty
straight-talking no-nonsense kind of a bloke still....)

Charles McCathieNevile                     chaals@opera.com
      Peek into the kitchen: http://snapshot.opera.com/