From: "Shadi Abou-Zahra" <shadi@w3.org>
To: "John Foliot - WATS.ca" <foliot@wats.ca>
Cc: www-html-editor@w3.org, public-wai-ert@w3.org
Subject: Re: [Moderator Action] Comment: 23. XHTML Metainformation
Attributes  Module
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 14:26:19 +0200

Hi John,

John Foliot - WATS.ca wrote:
> The current XHTML 2 draft has expanded and added to the predefined list
> of
> relative values
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/mod-metaAttributes.html#col_Metainformation):
>  Example: <link rel="P3Pv1" href="http://www.wats.ca/w3c/p3p.xml" />
>    (I'm glad you caught this one... I had wondered about it before).
>  May I suggest that another value be added to the newly expanded list,
> that
> of EARL:
>  *************
>  earlv1
>     Refers to an EARL Report Reference File. See [EARL -
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/EARL10/WD-EARL10-Requirements-20050615.html].
>  Example: <link rel="earlv1"
> href="http://www.wats.ca/w3c/earl_report.xml" />
>       or:
>     <link rel="earlv1" href="http://www.wats.ca/w3c/earl_report.rdf"
> />
>  *************

This is indeed one of the EARL use cases which we have been discussing
within the group, to supplement Web pages with the EARL reports that
express which tests have been carried out on it. User Agents and search
engines may have uses for this.

> While the capacity apparently still exists to expand the 'rel' values,
> having EARL "embedded" into the spec (like P3P) draws more attention to
> it,
> and perhaps, greater adoption.  I concede that EARL is still in Draft
> status

Yes, we have recently reconvened the Working Group and are resuming work.
We hope to publish both the Requirements document as well as an updated
Schema for EARL in the near future. Once published, they will be announced
for review.

Regards,
   Shadi

--