Re: Institution as an Assertor

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 15:32:21 +0100
To: "Carlos Iglesias" <carlos.iglesias@fundacionctic.org>, <public-wai-ert@w3.org>

"Carlos Iglesias" <carlos.iglesias@fundacionctic.org>
>I was thinking about the posibility of express that the assertor is an
>institution, you now, something like:
>
>Fundación CTIC asserts that...
>W3C asserts that...
>European Software Institute asserts that...
>
>Sometimes it could be useful, for example when you want to express an
>assertion but in an impersonal way, >or when the institution is more
>important or representative than the individual, or simply when you want
>the >institution to be present.

I agree, I think it would indeed be a good idea to widen it beyond
foaf:Person -  In the foaf world this was seen a lot, and foaf:Agent was the
solution a foaf Agent being anything that "does stuff" it's a super class of
Person and Organisation and Group (for when 2 people are asserting
something, or a Working Group are asserting it even though there may be
dissent)

My problem with using dc:publisher is that it's very undefined what you're
going to get, generally you get a name, FOAF is good as it allows you to
unambigously identify what the Entity is and hook into wider resources on
what that person is.  I don't believe this is possible with dc:publisher.

Cheers,

Jim.