Re: ERT Action Item: Use Case Scenarios for EARL

From: Johannes Koch <johannes.koch@fit.fraunhofer.de>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 16:54:16 +0200
To: Giorgio Brajnik <giorgio@dimi.uniud.it>
Cc: public-wai-ert@w3.org

Giorgio Brajnik wrote:

> A possible way to increase market pressure on EARL could be the
> adoption, by WAI, of a new "accessibility conformity logo" to be put, by
> web developers, into the pages they produce to claim a certain level of
> accessibility (eg. wcag1.0 AA). Like the one that is usually linked to
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG1A-Conformance.html.en .

One problem that I see is: For HTML validity you have strict rules that
can be checked automatically. In fact that is what makes up validation
(at least in the SGML context): checking against a formal grammar, like
a referenced DTD. For the WCAG accessibility levels it is not sufficient
to pass an automated test. So the logo could only claim "passed XYZ
automated test with no errors".
Johannes Koch - Competence Center BIKA
Fraunhofer Institute for Applied Information Technology (FIT.LIFE)
Phone: +49-2241-142628