Re: ERT Action Item: Use Case Scenarios for EARL

From: Johannes Koch <johannes.koch@fit.fraunhofer.de>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 16:54:16 +0200
To: Giorgio Brajnik <giorgio@dimi.uniud.it>
Cc: public-wai-ert@w3.org

Giorgio Brajnik wrote:

> A possible way to increase market pressure on EARL could be the
> adoption, by WAI, of a new "accessibility conformity logo" to be put, by
> web developers, into the pages they produce to claim a certain level of
> accessibility (eg. wcag1.0 AA). Like the one that is usually linked to
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG1A-Conformance.html.en .

One problem that I see is: For HTML validity you have strict rules that
can be checked automatically. In fact that is what makes up validation
(at least in the SGML context): checking against a formal grammar, like
a referenced DTD. For the WCAG accessibility levels it is not sufficient
to pass an automated test. So the logo could only claim "passed XYZ
automated test with no errors".
--
Johannes Koch - Competence Center BIKA
Fraunhofer Institute for Applied Information Technology (FIT.LIFE)