From: public-wai-ert-request@w3.org On Behalf Of Christophe Strobbe
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2005 11:52
To: Nils Ulltveit-Moe
Cc: public-wai-ert@w3.org
Subject: Re: locating assertions in non-text based formats (was Re:
About locating subject results and context)

Hi Nils and All,

At 23:37 23/04/2005, Nils Ulltveit-Moe wrote:
>Hi Shadi,
>
>This page shows a bit about accessibility and PDF:
>http://www.webaim.org/techniques/acrobat/
>
>Pointing into formats like Flash or PDF is not easy to achieve in a
>general way, since the underlying format is unknown, proprietary and in
>some cases binary. The formats act more like programming languages than
>a traditional document format.

The specification of Adobe PDF is proprietary but available at
http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/pdf/index_reference.html.
The PDF 1.5 spec is a "mere" 1149 pages long; I haven't checked the
current version (1.6).
The specification for Macromedia Flash (or should I now way Adobe
Flash?)
can be downloaded when you agree to a license agreement
(at
http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/open/licensing/fileformat/licen
se2.html)
that says you can "use the Specification for the sole purposes of
developing
Products that output SWF" (i.e. not for developing products that check
for
accessibility problems??).
An ActionScript Language Reference can be downloaded from
http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flash/, but I
think this is less useful for our purposes.

Regards,

Christophe Strobbe

--
Christophe Strobbe