Re: EARL and Website Production Management Techniques

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 22:01:11 +0200, Nils Ulltveit-Moe <nils@u-moe.no>
wrote:

> One use case for EARL, is to use it as an aid for better website
> production management. Managing websites is in some respects similar to
> maintaining software, only that the development process and change
> frequency is much higher.
> One possibility for better management of issues found during
> accessibility assessments, is to add EARL support to e.g. BugZilla, to
> be able to add and track bug reports for accessibility issues
> automatically.
> On the other hand, having good EARL support in BugZilla for
> accessibility issue management might be a selling point for tool
> vendors, and may be contributory for EARL adoption because BugZilla is
> widely used. It would also provide a summary of the bug reports in a
> standardised way, so that an accessibility aware management could
> compare the evolvement of the web site with other activities like
> software development, to get an overview over how the web site
> progresses, and if there are indicators of "accessibility rot" - e.g.
> bugs that never are corrected and addresset etc.

AccMonitor is a tool for managing large websites, that can check them over
every day and report on a whole lot of stuff. I think it can also direct
some manual testing to be done - for example guided by where there are
common problems that arise of one kind.

I think this is an important use case to develop.

A further related example would be doing specGL reviews over time on a
specification, (such as EARL :-) to ensure that we are improving in the
way we are meeting the various QA requirements that a W3C spec should
before it gets to Recommendation.

cheers

Charles McCathieNevile                      Fundacion Sidar
charles@sidar.org   +61 409 134 136    http://www.sidar.org