Re: Location of 'techniques' in TCDL

Hi Shadi, All,

Quoting Shadi Abou-Zahra <shadi@w3.org>:

> Hi,
>
> cstrobbe wrote:
> > Putting 'techniques' inside 'locations' sounds like a 'neither
> > fish, flesh, nor good red herring'-solution
>
> Now that mention herrings, I don't really understand why techniques
> is
> not part of the rule set. The thing that the test is testing for is
> actually the technique, the success criteria is secondary to that. Do
> we need to revisit the schema for rule sets?

If you fail an SC, you fail to conform, but if you fail a technique,
you can't make a definitive statement on conformance. That's why
BenToWeb never created "rules" (in rulesets.xml) for techniques but
only for success criteria. (In an earlier discussion, I believe we
agreed that this makes sense. [1]) Another advantage of mapping to
success criteria instead of to techniques and failures is that the
success criteria document will become stable while the techniques
document can evolve (which is one reason why the latter is not on
Recommendation track).

If we turn around our approach and map primarily to techniques/failures
instead of success criteria, do we also need to revisit the naming
convention? The resulting test suit would be very useful for developers
looking for examples of techniques/failures, but as a benchmark for
ERT, wouldn't it suffer from the lack of a mapping to success criteria?

> > if we care about the
> > relationship between technique(s) and location(s), why not put
> > 'techniques' inside 'location'; if we don't care, why not put
> > 'techniques' outside 'locations' and avoid suggesting a
> relationship
> > between a specific location and a specific technique? Let's take a
>
> > clear stance, not something in between.
>
> Agreed. I for my part care... ;)

Great.
Any other comments?