Re: Worksessions & nav categories [was: Usability Testing first of April [was: Fwd: v2 -- Re: Tasks - Resource mapping]]

Hi all,

I’m happy to reiterate my points from the F2F again in writing here.

On 6 Apr 2017, at 0:17, Sharron Rush wrote:

> One caution in line below:
>
> On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 5:02 PM, Shawn Henry <shawn@w3.org> wrote:

>> My goal is to get an interim IA (with minimal content changes) ASAP,
>> and
>> an ideal/target IA (which will include significant re-doing of
>> content)
>> after that. Do y'all want to suggest next steps and worksession
>> agenda for
>> that, or do you want me to?
>>

> I am pretty sure that we had decided by a large majority at the last
> face
> to face that in order for the IA to be meaningful - even in "interim"
> -
> there must be significant content changes. Can we make that a matter
> of
> record?

In my recollection a large majority was under the impression that it
would be the _best_ solution to make significant content changes.

However, making content changes would take at least several months,
while the  new design, while 100% complete in HTML/CSS and JavaScript,
would be not used.

I don’t see the EOWG or any individuals inside or outside of W3C with
the resources to do such a major rewrite of almost all our pages at this
time. Let alone do that in a short turn around, and get approval by
EOWG.

As much as I’d love to have this happen, as long as no-one has a magic
content wand, I don’t think it’s practical.

> There was strong majority opinion not to move legacy content into the
> new
> IA without grooming it for the new site. So among the steps must be
> content
> review and approval to move. Some of the assets are in fine shape but
> others will stay in the archival site until fixed. Maybe that is why
> we are
> at such a standstill, do we have a remaining fundamental
> misunderstanding
> about this?

Shawn made a proposal several weeks ago, to which there were no
comments. As far as I understood it, it was an attempt to triage the
content, making our main content areas and sub-sections easier to
understand.

The main task right now is to identify the issues and make concrete
steps on what content needs to be updated (critical + urgent for the new
IA), which content needs to be updated in the next revision of that
document, what is the long term plan to consolidate content after the
redesign.

(And statistics after the redesign might help to make decisions about
that as well.)

The proposed work sessions would identify exactly that.

> My suggestion for a work session that may or may not involve the VISA
> team
> is to see which resources can be moved as is and which need rewriting
> before moving. I was excited by Charlotte's shared history as a tech
> writer. So maybe that is where we have to start.

That’s what I’ve understood the work sessions to be…

- - -

Personally, I’m excited getting the new layout and colors out ASAP. I
don’t see a lot of movement on the IA side, and I am really concerned
if this is holding us up. (But I might just not have the insight.)

To be honest, I think of “the perfect” (or even a decent) IA as a
long-term effort we need to gravitate to by identifying (and going)
steps in the right direction. In that process we’ll identify gaps and
overlaps in the content. Then we can tackle them on a case by case
basis.

Right now, we got that huge mountain of work in front of us, and no plan
to tackle it. Let’s make a plan that is workable, and let’s hope we
find a way to work in parallel on this major revamp of many (almost
all?) resources.

I know that this is not what many want to hear, but I just try to see it
practical.

- - -

Thanks, again, everybody for your great work. I am aware that this is a
huge task, but we should not think about this as an all-or-nothing game.
Let’s work out a good, solid plan and stick to it.

Eric