From: w3c-wai-eo-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-eo-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Wayne Dick
Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 2:02 PM
To: EOWG (E-mail)
Subject: Prototype User Testing an Long Beach

Having never done usability testing I read the sight on the other
testing and came up with the following script and tasks.  None of my
students are developers, but they have a range of disabilities.  I hope
it isn't to off the mark.

Dear Testers,

We are asking you to look at the Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)
unfinished web site to rate its accessibility. The site is incomplete.
There are many dead ends, so some searches will be fruitless. Please be
patient with these shortcomings. The designers of the page want an idea
of how the page is navigated by experienced users with disabilities.

Rather than waiting until the product is out the door, this group wants
to perform some reality checks first. That is where you come in. We need
your comments they are important record as the page is developed.

The main thing we want you to test is navigability and information
architecture. To do this I have you complete a few tasks to see if you
can find your way around and what you think of the site navigation
tools.

We are not looking for complements here. Please be frank. Tell us if you
dislike something. Tell us if you like something.

Use this site:

Lets get started.

- What is your occupation and title?

- How would you describe your role or interest as it relates to web
development and/or making web pages accessible to people with
disabilities?

- In the last year, how often have you visited the Web Accessibility
Initiative (WAI) website to locate information?

- We are particularly Interested in including people with disabilities
in this study: Do you have a disability? If yes, briefly describe
disability:

- How long have you been involved in Web accessibility?

To complete your tasks use the following site: Test Page for the Web
<http://www.w3.org/2004/09/wai-nav/8-home> Accessibility Initiative . We
will repeat this site link after each task to reduce paging as you work
through this document.

Task 1: Go to the Getting Started Link site. Move around it a little.
How is the feel? Test Page  <http://www.w3.org/2004/09/wai-nav/8-home>
for the Web Accessibility Initiative

Task 2: Using the site answer the question: What is WAI? Test Page for
the Web  <http://www.w3.org/2004/09/wai-nav/8-home> Accessibility
Initiative

Task 3: If I want to evaluate a web site for accessiblity what resources
will help? Test Page for  <http://www.w3.org/2004/09/wai-nav/8-home> the
Web Accessibility Initiative

Task 4: What are the accessiblity guidelines? What are the words for
WCAG, UAAG and ATAG? Test  <http://www.w3.org/2004/09/wai-nav/8-home>
Page for the Web Accessibility Initiative

Task 5: "Find the UAAG 1.0 FAQ." Then, from the UAAG 10 FAQ, "Find the
UAAG 1.0 Testimonials" Test Page for the Web
<http://www.w3.org/2004/09/wai-nav/8-home> Accessibility Initiative

Task 6: Your team at work is developing a Web site and you have some
concerns about how accessible the Web site might be to people with
disabilities. Using this Web site, determine whether or not it contains
information about the basic things Web developers need to know about Web
accessibility. Test Page  <http://www.w3.org/2004/09/wai-nav/8-home> for
the Web Accessibility Initiative

Now answere the following questions as best as possible.

A. How does the general infornation architecture and navigation design
work? Could you perform the tasks? Was it easy, hard, so-so?

B. Is the expanding, collapsing node concept intuitive?

C. Note that some pages "annotated navigation pages" just get you
around. Other pagers "content pages" are dedcated primarily to content,
i.e. the actual UAAG page. Were the "anotated navigation pages"
understandable in their relationship to the hierarchical navigation to
actual content?

D. How comfortable or uncomfortable were you when one node is expanded
and the peer nodes are not?

E. Is the presentation and interaction of the lower levels under UAAG
links understandable?