RE: Re: Purpose Statement - Commentary

Thanks for the quick feedback, Charmane!

We talked about that the _first_ thing most people want to know is,
"What can I get from this site?"  - and "What is WAI" is close second
that should be easy to find.

What is WAI is (right now): "WAI, in coordination with organizations
around the world, pursues accessibility of the Web through five primary
areas of work: technology, guidelines, tools, education and outreach,
and research and development." - which doesn't seem like a good welcome
to a new site.

While one purpose of the site from WAI's perspective might be to support
the mission of the WAI, we wanted an opening statement from the
_user/visitor_ perspective - that is, what is on this site for me?!

Also note that a recurring theme in usability testing was that the site
was too much about WAI, and not about accessibility. (although I cannot
remember if it was one person harping on it repeatedly, or several
different people)

> Maybe we are saying the same thing just different words....

Perhaps so. It wouls be GREAT if you would you propose a different
"purpose statement" to help in the discussion!
(Carol's first pass is at the bottom of the e-mail)

~ Shawn