Re: a little bit of script testing?

Hi Wilco,

Thank you for your feedback! A couple of responses:

On 06.09.2010 11:12, Wilco Fiers wrote:
> Hello Shadi,
>
> I suppose there are a few ways you could look at it. I tend to go by which element is most like what you want to do. Links point you to resources, so when I made the lightboxes with the annotations I used links because it points the user to a part of the content. For making changes in content such as expanding or collapsing I think buttons are the most elegant, because buttons are used for requesting a change, not some specific resource. Then again in things such as FAQs where you might use the question to expand the answer, that is already a lot more like a link then a button.

Absolutely. Which is why we are doing some informal testing with users
(EOWG participants for now), to understand some of those preferences.

> Personally I wouldn't use a checkbox (or it's role) because checkboxes are for inserting user information, not changing context. As a purely HTML component it doesn't do anything until we press the submit button. I would suggest disabling the button which can't be used. In the way you've done it you can't tell the state of the top buttons without CSS.

I agree with the disabling, I need to implement that. However, what
would you use for a toggle? An activated/deactivated button?

> And here's the nitpicky point, technically when your paragraphs are collapsed, your heading shouldn't be headings anymore. For something to be a heading it requires some kind of content to come ofter it to which it can be a heading. Headings are only headings in relationship to content. If you remove the content, you should probably be removing the header markup too. Now I know that's quite fiddly and the reason why nobody does it. But it's something worth considering. The best solution to this I think is to use the default state - whatever it starts off as - to be correct, and to allow for semantic errors as the user interacts with the page. In your example that would mean not using the headers, but to use a list instead.

This is a good point. Actually, some users are having troubles with
buttons being part of the headings too. I'll think about this.

> Hope this helps. Btw why did you use tabindex on the buttons? I can't really think of any need for them, could you clarify?

I was hoping it could help fix some of the buffer refresh issues in some
of the screen readers but it does not seem to work either.

Thank you for your feedback, I'll work on another attempt...

Best,
   Shadi