Re: Review by Thursday 28 October: How People with Disabilities Use the Web

[EOWG folks, please look at some of the comments that need discussion]

Dear Sailesh,

Thank you for your comments.

Please find inline below a log of how some of your comments have been
addressed. Others will be discussed during the upcoming EOWG calls and I
will get back to you on them.

Let me know if you have questions or further comments (also on other
parts of the resource suite).

On 19.10.2010 17:06, Sailesh Panchang wrote:
> Shawn,
>
> Stories of Web users:
> 1. Both expand all / collapse all links are exposed all the time.
> Only one should be exposed depending on current state.

We are working on improvements to this script and will be asking for
specific feedback on it at a later stage.

> 2. Mr. Lee - color blindness:
> 2.1. Refer to "Related sections within this resource"".
> Content under this is marked up  as nested list.
> Maybe using h4 might be better. Then use a list under each.

EOWG will re-discuss this and I'll get back to you on it. The issue is
balancing the amount of headings on a page too.

> 2.2. The related accessibility principles for Mr. Lee mainly relate to
> ability to perceive.
> I do not see why "Users are helped to avoid and correct mistakes
> (Understandable)" is
> listed here.
> The text in the story too does not support it.

Agreed. This item has been removed from the list.

> 2.3. Maybe color contrast and  absence of focus indicator (SC 2.4.7)
> should also be  listed
> in the story as issues he has to deal with.

At this stage we are not looking at expanding the stories any further.
In particular, success criterion 2.4.7 does not appear to relate
directly to color perception.
  -
<http://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/navigation-mechanisms-focus-visible.html>

> 3. Mr. Jones- RSI:
> 3.1. Necessary to refer to CMS? Seems techy.

There is a general consensus to specifically outline the impact of
inaccessible content management systems, as CMS tools are widely used.
However, EOWG will re-discuss this and I'll get back to you on it.

> 3.2. Review use of tense and use of sentences with "would".

This tense seems fine, please provide more specific comments.

> Also "re-damage" can do with an  alternative. e.g. exacerbates
> his pain.

"exacerbates" might be difficult to understand for some readers (in
particular non-fluent readers) and to translate. Also the aspect of
incurring "damage" through inaccessible design may be an important
aspect. EOWG will re-discuss this and I'll get back to you on it.

> 4. Student who is deaf:
> 4.1. Refer to "The university quickly found that it was much easier to
> comprehensively
> index the  transcribed or captioned audio resources and provide them ..."
> Prefix this with a statement that says: "The university discovered
> that captioning yielded
> other benefits too"

Agreed. The paragraph has been edited accordingly.

> 5. About blind accountant:
> 5.1. Refer to: • Web browser with keyboard support to use websites
> without a mouse
> Comment: This could mislead some readers.
> Does the browser (user agent)  provide this ability or the Web content?

In this case we mean the browser that provides keyboard support. Added
the word "help" in the sentence, to clarify that keyboard support in
browsers does not automatically mean that all websites can actually be
used by keyboard. The sentence now reads:
  - "Web browser with keyboard support to help use websites without a mouse"

> 5.2. Refer to: "... organized in tables, which can sometimes be
> difficult for non-visual
> users  to read"
> Better to clarify with : users of screen reading software access the
> contents of a single
> table cell at a time. Only if the table is properly marked up, the
> screen reader can
> relate individual data cells with its column and row header cells and
> thus provide the
> proper context for users.

Agreed. Changed "which can sometimes be difficult for non-visual users
to read" to "which can sometimes be difficult to read by people using
screen readers".

> 5.3. Innovations lists  audio descriptions as the first item. No
> reference to this in the
> story.
> If retained, include it just before / after transcripts.

Agreed. This item has been removed from the list.

> Thanks,
> Sailesh Panchang

Thanks,
   Shadi