From: public-wai-age-request@w3.org [mailto:public-wai-age-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Burmeister, Oliver
Sent: 29 July 2010 20:25
To: Suzette Keith; WAI-AGE Taskforce
Subject: RE: introducing_another_world_-_older_people_and_digital_inclusion..pdf

Hi Suzette and others

When you suggest user trials, do you have anything specific in mind? I am in the process of putting together an application for a grant (due end of next week). I live in rural New South Wales (NSW), Australia, about 500 km from the nearest capital city. The NSW government body for ageing and disability are making funds available to train some of the seniors in local, rural areas, to use the internet. Their statistics show that 40% of rural households have seniors who have never used computers, let alone the Internet. They want to see some of these seniors trained to use the Internet. I am proposing using iPads and conducting the training in a series of one-on-one sessions in our usability lab. Any suggestions you have for what I could do for user trials would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Oliver