Re: [For review] Scenarios page in How People with Disabilities Use the Web

Hi Nancy,

Thank you for your comments, please find some responses below:

Nancy Johnston wrote:
> Hello.  Here's comments from our Digital Team at Age Concern and Help the AGed.
>
> The scenarios are clearly written and should be meaningful both to web developers and to people who don't know about accessibility.
>
> Focusing specifically on the scenario about the older user, comments include:

Note that we also have a 62 year old online student in scenario 3 and a
senior accountant in scenario 4. The theme of ageing is intentionally
woven into the scenarios rather than separating out "older users".

> The scenario does not expand on the effect of Mr Yunus' central-field vision loss. This could mean that he would miss critical information if it was located right at the sides of a web page?

Information about each outlined disability and how they impact web use
is explained in the "Disabilities and Barriers" page of the resource.
It's also linked from the "Further Reading" section under the scenario.

Note: the "Disabilities and Barriers" page has not been updated yet and
your comment will be addressed in the next revision of that page.

> I think that many older people with hand tremor find it hard to use the scroll bar, as well as to click on small links and form elements.

Some of this information has been included in the scenario itself but
the actual description of hand tremor will be further explained in the
"Disabilities and Barriers" section of the resource.

> The scenario does not seem to make it clear that websites should have an easy-to-spot option for enlarging the text in a more 'elegant' way using CSS, so that Mr Yunus does not have to rely on the web browser text settings - perhaps they could be expanded on in further scenarios.

This is not a WCAG requirement. There are several issues with that CSS
approach, most notably that it only provides few steps of enlargement
(usually only 2 or 3 at most). Most browsers (and operating systems)
provide options for enlarging the text, and we intend to link between
this resource and the "Better Web Browsing: Tips for Customizing Your
Computer" document to help users learn about these options:
  - <http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/Drafts/adaptive/strategies>

> Another issue in regard to older users, is terminology. Sometimes they don't know IT-related or web-related 'jargon' that people who were brought up with, or worked with, computers are familiar with - so terms like 'PDF', 'Flash' or 'browser' may need explaining.

Unfortunately there is little room in this scenario to add yet another
aspect of web accessibility (it's already one of the longer scenarios).
Another approach could be to include it in "Scenario 7: Supermarket
assistant with cognitive disability" or elsewhere.

> But generally it is very good, and the issues - like using a mouse and having trouble with captcha images - are definitely ones that have come up in my experience with older users.

Excellent, thank you. This is all information based on the input from
this Task Force.

Best,
   Shadi