Re: Feedback Before-After Demo

I will try to make my ideas more clear.

A "sexy" website is a website build with a graphic charter where everything as
been tought to touch the target public. Colors, icons, banners,
illustrations, labels ... have been choosen for the user to feel good.

This design goes much further than the blocs positions.
You have to think the infographist's job as a painter job : it creates the
look of the inteface. He gives an image of the interface that the technical
developper has to implement.

It is difficult to make academic example "sexy" because they do not have an
actual target public. And that is an infographist's job, that is not mine.
Academic examples are however interresting for webdeveloppers that need to
develop accessible web sites. The exemple you build with the suggestions made
seems to be complete. That is a good job.
But these won't convince developpers that need to make "sexy" websites and
that often see non sexy accessible web sites. Accessible implies "non sexy"
in a lot of developpers' mind.

In webdevelopment, we are used to inspired our interfaces from existing
interfaces that we adapt. Presenting some "sexy" templates should help
changing the minds and uses.

These days, web developments often imply content management systems (CMS) or
other dynamic website systems (wikis, blogs, ...). It is become a trend for
every CMS to organize an infographist prize for the best interfaces.  Why not
to propose some WAI membre to participate the evaluation ?

WAI evaluation should also arrive after a "sexy" prize election. Take the 5
sexiest web sites of the year and make a WAI classification ...

Actual websites presenting a version "before" and "after" integrating
accessibility guidelines should also be presented. Contacs with commercials
involved in accessibility developments should help finding such examples.

The particularity of websites is that they evolve every day. If a WAI prize is
given it is for one web interface at one precise moment. But at least
a "frozen" version of the main pages of the site should be given as an
inspiration for developpers.

You get reason, Shadi, I have no time to organize a prize. But I only want you
to know I am not sure the academic examples actually help the WAI to be more
accessible ... ;-)

Isabelle

Le Monday 27 October 2008 14:13:20 Shadi Abou-Zahra, vous avez écrit :
> Hi Isabelle,
>
> Thank you for your feedback. We have looked into thos idea in the past
> but it proved to be very difficult for several reasons:
>
> - who evaluates the Web sites in question?
> - how do we guarantee that they do not change?
> - how do we maintain such an idea scalable?
>
> The Demo attempts to provide a selection of realistic examples from many
> of the Web sites we encounter. Please let us know if you have specific
> suggestions on making the Demo less academic and more usable for you (or
> if you volunteer to organize an award and maintain a list of accessible
> and best-practice Web sites *wink*).
>
> Best,
>    Shadi
>
> Isabelle Motte wrote:
> > I am a web developper and I am quite reluctant about this "academic"
> > example that do not provide an actual content.
> >
> > Why not to propose a list of "sexy" accessible web sites that could
> > inspire the web developpers ? A special honorific prize could even be
> > organized ...
> >
> > Isabelle
> >
> > Le Friday 10 October 2008 10:38:54 Shadi Abou-Zahra, vous avez écrit :
> >> Hi Michael,
> >>
> >> Thank you for your comments. Many of these are about the coding so let's
> >> discuss them when we implement the changes. For now, we need to identify
> >> any functional changes to the Demo that would better highlight that WCAG
> >>   also improves the user experience for older people.
> >>
> >> Do you have specific thoughts about the types of accessibility barriers
> >> that we should further include in the Demo?
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>    Shadi

Isabelle Motte
Coordinatrice du stage multimédia CUD
Biologie - UMDB
Facultés Universitaires Notre-Dame de la Paix
Rue de Bruxelles,61
5000 Namur
081/724386