Re: Continuous Development Process TPAC Slides

> On Sep 5, 2019, at 16:04 , Michael Champion <Michael.Champion@microsoft.com> wrote:
>

> I still don’t understand why getting a Contribution License from WG members fixes anything in the W3C context, where WG members grant a full-spec. license.
>
> As I understand it, WG members only grant a full spec license at the Rec stage. A contribution license protects implementers of ideas that don’t survive in the final Rec or specs that never reach Rec

Perhaps. The contribution license we ask for from non-WG members is for a license to their IPR that becomes essential as a result of integrating their contribution into the spec that existed at the time of their contribution, i.e. it’s quite narrow. So the scenario is that their contribution didn’t survive all the way to Rec. but someone implemented a pre-Rec version, and they want a license? You’ll note that if other things happened after their contribution, the esential IPR set may change (and of course we don’t have a full-spec. license from the WG members on anything other than the final Rec,).

David Singer
Manager, Software Standards, Apple Inc.