Re: Evergreen Formal Objection handling (ESFO)

On 3/14/19 11:56 AM, Siegman, Tzviya wrote:
> I am a little confused by this discussion. We seem to be going in a direction that takes us far away
> from W3C Process and intent. Chris and I were tasked with coming up with language about consensus,
> but I am truly puzzled about what is so different about the ES process and the REC track process
> when it comes to both consensus and FO.
>
> My impression is that the way that most REC track WGs work when they are in the writing phase is not
> dissimilar from ES. Editors have discretion to make changes to documents, but that writing should
> reflect the intent and consensus of the WG. If there are concerns about changes to documents, even
> merged pull requests, they are raised to the group and discussed. Pull Requests can be retracted.
> That is why we have version control.
>
> The process outlined by Chris from the WHATWG seems to ignore the concept of an active and
> functional WG with a chair. I don’t think we need to add the Director overriding an FO. Why make
> this a Director responsibility? WGs resolve issues like this on a regular basis today.
>
> Can’t we simply state: Evergreen Standards are a part of the W3C Process and must follow the rules
> of Consensus [1], including resolving objections.
>
> [1] https://www.w3.org/2019/Process-20190301/#Consensus.

I just want to step in here to say I support Tzviya's point that the process
rules for editing an ER should not be any different from the process rules
currently operating for the REC track. I think the document here is way too
detailed about exactly who is responsible for what specific task in the WG.
The Process should be an overarching framework and principles, not a specific
workflow.

~fantasai