Re: Everblue Standards :D

Still coming up to speed on Everblue...

... and it is hard since many of these threads discuss multiple issues
together and include both crisp use cases interspersed with philosophy.

So for this post, I want to focus on only one aspect of Everblue which I
believe I understand (and discussed with Florian and Fantasai this evening).

As I understand it, in Everblue, if you take an existing REC and modify
one part of it (let's say Chapter 1), you can ask that review be
performed only on Chapter 1.  If there are no new objections on Chapter
1, then the group can publish a new REC with these changes.  If during
this time frame someone raised objections on some other chapter (let's
say 10), the WG does not need to address those new changes, that will
wait until the next time the whole spec goes through the entire REC process.

This concerns me because it could create a series of RECs which continue
to ignore the Chapter 10 objections indefinitely.

Let's say that in Year 1 the WG updates Chapter 1; Chapter 2 in Year 2,
C3, in Y3, ... C6 in Y6.  Then the WG will have published 6 RECs in 6
years and continue to ignore the Chapter 10 objections.  This seems
unreasonable.

I was told that we have that problem today - that due to the
difficulties of maintenance we just wouldn't update anything for 6
years, and the Chapter 10 objections would still be unaddressed.

But I think the new proposal is worse.  First, it allows a spec to go
out under the banner of W3C REC even with never addressing the new
objection.  Our process seems to condone ignoring objections.  Second,
the new process actually provides no motivation to ever address the
Chapter 10 objections.  At least today, groups know they are totally
blocked if they ignore Chapter 10 objections forever.

(Btw, I am also not convinced that for some system level review issues
(e.g security, privacy) that we can neatly segregate issues between
Chapter 1 and 10).

I have a counterproposal, which I doubt will satisfy Everblue proponents
- but here it is.

 1. I see nothing wrong in marking the spec in a way that shows that
    only certain chapters have changed.
 2. I see nothing wrong in sending the spec out for wide review and
    opining with wide reviewers that the WG believes that they only need
    to review those chapters that have changed.
 3. If a horizontal review group sees the logic of why they only need to
    review certain chapters; they provide that limited review; and
    conclude that the spec has no issues (even though they chose not to
    look at "Chapter 10"), then I think W3C should accept that as a
    completed horizontal review.  But, if an objection arises
    nonetheless, the objection still needs to be addressed.

Jeff