Re: Everblue Standards :D

Here is a summary of the issues that I see in Everblue:

1. there is no way to create a snapshot of a draft *before* it reaches
Recommendation in order to secure licensing commitments over the entire
document. This is a significant flaw of the W3C Patent Policy and was
fixed in the Evergreen proposal with the ERS proposal.  While getting
contributions commitment is a good step forward, Everblue is incomplete.

2. Process 2005 was broken with regards to substantive changes in order
to fix Recommendation:
  a. It required a Working Group to make those changes (think Web
Crypto, XML, WSDL, XPath, etc.)
  b. It didn't allow for those substantive changes of third class to get
proper call for exclusions.

Everblue proposes to reestablish Process 2005, without addressing the
problem of the Patent Policy. That simply doesn't work. You must not be
allowed to publish an Edited Recommendation without due patent policy
process. Process 2019 forces you to go back to CR, thus triggering the
60 days period. All of the other requirements for CRs would have to be
justified in *any* case (wide review, implementation, etc.). So, I don't
understand what you gain by republishing directly (besides avoiding
republications of a CR and a PR document). Are you suggesting to skip
the AC review for example? (which I personally have no problem with).
Take the example of the Web Crypto spec when one wants to add a new
required crypto algo. How would that work in Everblue? Or changing the
time origin algorithm of the High Resolution Time spec to also define it
within the context of Worker (and not just Window)?

So, until Everblue is able to properly include a patent policy, I cannot
imagine it being a viable option.

You keep shooting down the Evergreen proposal because of its continuous
wide review aspect. The current Process and Everblue identify a specific
point in time in the Process where a check is made. The current trends
are to do reviews often and early, rather than once and last minute.
Evergreen, Everblue, or others, we'll need to promote a system that
facilitate those often and early reviews imo. You're also uncomfortable
with a model with a strong editor (even when there is oversight by a
Chair), yet several of our Groups already working like that nowadays and
are happy to delegate a lot of their decisions/implementation details to
the editor(s). The Web Performance Working Group is one of those examples.

Having said this, I do believe we're pursuing similar end goals between
Everblue and Evergreen. The main argument to pursue Evergreen being that
time is running short to fix everything the REC track in time of Process
2020 (cf comment [1]). You propose simplifying Director transitions,
which I concur is a good thing (and doesn't need significant amount of
process changes imho).

Philippe

[1] https://github.com/w3c/w3process/issues/271#issuecomment-494969583