From: Michael Champion <Michael.Champion@microsoft.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 3, 2019 1:09 PM
To: Carine Bournez <carine@w3.org>
Cc: Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>; Jeff Jaffe <jeff@w3.org>; public-w3process@w3.org; Wendy Seltzer <wseltzer@w3.org>; Philippe Le Hégaret <plh@w3.org>
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Review of Process 2020

Thanks Wendy and Carine, I thought I was being curmudgeonly!

To be clear, I'm happy with the processes in the Everteal draft, I just don't think it is worth trying to semantically distinguish between a "Recommendation that MAY be updated and enhanced in place" and a" Recommendation that MUST NOT be updated or enhanced in place."  The WG+Director+AC can decide on a case by case basis whether to use the Everteal mechanism or go back to WD and create a new version of a Recommendation.    Likewise a charter MAY state a WG's intention whether or not to use create "living" vs "stable" standards.  My basic point is: I see no reason that the target audience would care whether the Recommendation MAY be fixed or enhanced in place, they will care whether the Recommendation as it exists in /TR matches reality and meets the W3C quality criteria.