Re: "Removed statement there is one vote per available seat" - was Re: W3C Process 2018

> On Sep 29, 2017, at 15:40 , Michael Champion <michaelc.champion@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I’m not necessarily advocating this procedure, I’m leaning toward just going back to the simple system we used to have. I’m just pointing out to the AC what I only recently understood: we no longer get to vote for the set of people we think are most qualified for various reasons, we are forced to rank them on some arbitrary scale, and only one vote ends up actually counting.  This is a fundamental change in the election philosophy that never got discussed as far as I can find in the archives. As Florian points out, it’s hard to reason about the implications of changing the voting system, but I don’t want to gloss this over as a simple bug in Process 2017 that can be fixed by removing the “one vote per available seat” language.

To be clear, removing this sentence, to make the process document clear and not misleading, is a bug fix.

Whether we like STV voting in general, and its implications, is the discussion we’re having; triggered by the bug fix, perhaps, but a much wider discussion.

David Singer
Manager, Software Standards, Apple Inc.