Re: Working group voting procedures in Process 2018

Hi all,

On 24 October 2017 at 05:52, Chaals McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex.ru>
wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 18:49:14 +0200, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
> wrote:
>
> I'm curious about the rationale behind one of the changes within
>> #24, which covers voting *in working groups* (which is described in
>> both the new and old process as a rare procedure that should only be
>> used when consensus cannot be reached).
>>
>> In the current process, votes in a working group MUST be taken
>> per-organization (or group of related members).  In the revised
>> process, the default voting process (which can be overridden by
>> charters) is that votes in a working group default to one vote per
>> participant.
>>
>> This change seems to introduce the risk that, if a working group is
>> facing issues contentious enough to lead to a vote, it allows
>> organizations to add new members to the group in order to change the
>> results.  This seems undesirable to me.
>>

> From my perspective it is true that some organisation might try to fill
> the group to win a vote. In the unlikely event that an important issue
> really got determined this way and left people unhappy at the outcome, I
> would expect a formal objection. I expect part of the director's analysis
> of such an objection to include looking at any such attempt at "distorting
> the outcome" with about as much contempt as the particular case merits.

Chaals calls this scenario "unlikely". Is it really?

It might be worth noting that I recently (in the last two years) attended a
meeting where the CSS working group had a majority of voting members
attending from a single organisation. A quick check of the membership of
that group [1] yields:

Google: 19 participants
Microsoft: 11 participants
Apple: 11 participants
Mozilla: 8 participants

Without making any attempt whatsoever to infer whether those numbers are a
good idea (they might be for such a core WG), it is certainly an existence
proof that WGs can end up with a small number of organisations dominating
the active participation.

Regards,
Dave

[1] https://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/members