Re: Followup to "Supergroups" message to AC Forum

On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 10:51:36PM +0200, Daniel Glazman wrote:

> > They cannot (and must not) produce something that gets under the patent policy without doing so.  Obviously, all groups are free to discuss the future, and so on.
>
> In pure theory, yes. In practice, we all know this is not how it
> too often goes for new work items appearing during the course of
> a charter. Work almost always start unchartered, happens in the
> mailing-list of the WG, takes WG time during calls and ftfs
> and remains an Editor's Draft the time needed to become "cleaner"
> and is in legal limbos. We'll have some day a big problem...
>
> In practice again, like it or not, unchartered spec work starts because
> _Members_ cannot and don't want to wait. This is again a question of
> adapting our rules to our practice.

Well, it's not a problem to take on board contributions on a document
that is not yet published on the Rec track. Staff and chairs must not
publish a FPWD for a spec that is not on the charter (actually, less than
150 days before the new charter might work, but it would be a patent policy
hack)

--
Carine Bournez /// W3C Europe