RE: Action-140: Obsoleting a recommendation, one more minor fix

+1 to clarify patent protection maintenance.
Virginie

-----Original Message-----
From: Wendy Seltzer [mailto:wseltzer@w3.org]
Sent: mercredi 6 juillet 2016 15:45
To: David Singer <singer@apple.com>; W3C Advisory Board <ab@w3.org>; Revising W3C Process Community Group <public-w3process@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Action-140: Obsoleting a recommendation, one more minor fix

A question relating to the patent policy: Is "obsoleting" intended to leave patent commitments in-force? I'd support that, to continue protect those who had implemented, even if we don't recommend further implementation or use.

Note that the PP applies "as long as the Recommendation is in effect."
(Sec. 5.9)
https://www.w3.org/Consortium/Patent-Policy-20040205/#sec-Requirements

So we might add, e.g. "an obsolete Recommendation is still deemed in effect, although it is not recommended for future implementation."

Thanks,
--Wendy

Wendy Seltzer -- wseltzer@w3.org +1.617.715.4883 (office) Policy Counsel and Domain Lead, World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
https://wendy.seltzer.org/        +1.617.863.0613 (mobile)