Re: WICG Incubation vs CSSWG Process

>    But in any case, the specifics of how the CSSWG should or should not incorporate
>  incubation through the WICG or otherwise, or what technology we should use for
>  discussion, is a topic for the WG lists;

There are a few process issues in this set of threads, although I agree that it’s mostly the CSS WG’s job to figure out how to figure out how to incubate future CSS-related specs in a way that hits a sweet spot of patent protection, participation by the relevant experts, and ensuring that WG specs that aren’t going to get to Rec are somehow marked as obsolete, published as notes, etc.

One process issue is implied by

“the charter review process allowed a substantive change
to the charter to be made by W3M fiat, without the review or approval of the WG
affected.”

The W3C Process makes clear that issues are ultimately resolved by the Director’s “fiat”, and at least in practice “The Director” equates to “W3M” for all but the thorniest issues.  Also, the process makes clear that the Director+AC grants charters to WGs, the WG’s don’t even exist until they have an approved charter.  So it’s not clear how the current process would allow WGs to review their charters.  Arguably the community of stakeholders for a set of specs, which usually more or less equates to the members of previous WGs that drafted those specs, should have an explicit role in reviewing W3M/Director resolution of objections to a charter, and that seems like an appropriate topic for the Process CG.  Alternatively, maybe the AB, TAG, and/or AC – presumably in an accelerated review, not the ponderous 30-day WBS ballot mechanism – should have a role in reviewing W3M’s resolution.

Another process issue is whether there should be a mechanism to declare WDs or CR’s “obsolete”.  (I agree with Chaals in another message, the new process introduces the concept of “obsolete” Recs, which is distinct from “recinded” Recs, and “obsolete” is the right term for WDs or CRs that are no longer plausibly on track to become Recommendations).  I think it’s worth discussing whether the current practice of publishing dead-end work as Notes is the best way to handle this.  I for one find Notes a bit overloaded --- some are not at all normative, some describe quasi-normative best practice, some describe normative specs that are used on the web but not widely enough to be considered interoperable standards, and others are work that seemed on the road to become normative but went off in the weeds for one reason or another.  So, it might be worth adding some language to the process allowing WDs and CRs to be withdrawn, possibly un-published from the /TR page, or at least to mark the status of their Notes to distinguish the various failure modes (WG decided it was a bad idea in retrospect, WG divided and didn’t have consensus to advance, WG still likes the spec but it didn’t get implementation evidence, etc.)