Defining "incubation" - was Re: WICG Incubation vs CSSWG Process

> I think it's really difficult to have any kind of conversation without a fair degree of common understanding what the words even mean.
> If there is an especially ambiguous understanding of what is meant by incubation (and there seems to be), then _that_ seems like something
> we should work to clear that up ASAP, before continuing other sorts of discussions that require that.  How can we do that?

Good point.  I propose looking at what some comparable organizations require to turn proposals into official projects.  For example, the Apache Foundation has a very well defined incubation process that is mandatory before some contributed code becomes a “Top Level Project”.  See
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/

In that document, think of “Podling” as analogous to Community Group and a “Top Level Project” (TLP) as analogous to a Working Group, and “subproject” as a spec in a Supergroup such as CSS.

I would not advocate W3C creating all the process and board-level reviews that Apache has done, but the graduation requirements from Podling to TLP http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Graduating+from+the+Incubator   are worth careful consideration.  These requirements, edited to remove the Apache-process ones and translated to W3C-speak include:

·         It is a “worthy and healthy” project (addresses real world problems in an implementable way)

·         There are royalty-free IPR promises from likely patent holders in the area

·         There is an active and diverse community developing the spec and hoping to use it in the real world

·         The project is not highly dependent on a single contributor

·         Demonstrated ability to tolerate and resolve conflict within the community

·         Implementation plans are developed and socialized with the community

·         Has a synergistic relationship with other W3C entities (relevant WGs, the TAG, the team Architecture and Strategy functions …)

What other standards or OSS organizations have a formal description of “incubation” we might learn from?