Re: w3process-ACTION-47: Produce a proposal for addressing wayne's "comment 9" - allowing appeal where the director's decision isn't the same as the proposal sent for review.

> On Mar 18, 2015, at 13:01 , Wayne Carr <wayne.carr@linux.intel.com> wrote:
>
> I think there is a misunderstanding of what I was asking for.  I'm not asking for something new.  I think the current wording doesn't express what I would think everyone thinks the policy is. Before addressing that, I want to bring up the other part of this that is simpler.
>
> The new policy to be able to relicense abandoned, unfinished specs that was approved by the AC and Director and that has a new AC appeal of the Director's decision on that in it.  That just needs to be added to the list in the Process of the things that can be appealed  That is just reflecting what we did already in the Process document.

Do you mean AC appeal or AC Rep appeal (they are different)?

> Back to this other wording change.
>
> Background.   I think there is some confusion about AC Appeals are.  It is more like an override than an appeal. "An Advisory Committee representative initiates an appeal by sending a request to the Team (explained in detail in the New Member Orientation). The Team MUST announce the appeal process to the Advisory Committee and provide an address for comments from Advisory Committee representatives. The archive of these comments MUST be Member-visible. If, within one week of the Team's announcement, 5% or more of the Advisory Committee support the appeal request, the Team MUST organize an appeal vote asking the Advisory Committee to approve or reject the decision. "    http://www.w3.org/2014/Process-20140801/#ACAppeal
>
> Example 1:  AC Review on publishing a Recommendation.  400 AC reps approve publishing.  0 formal objections.  The Director rejects publication.  The AC cannot appeal even though support of the AC was unanimous.

has this ever happened?

> Example 2:  AC Review on publishing a Recommendation.  399 AC reps approve publishing.  1 formal objections.  The Director rejects publication.  The AC can appeal because 1 AC rep agreed with the Director to reject publication.  If no AC member had agreed, it is example 1 and the AC cannot appeal.

But that’s exactly what FOs are for; someone thinks that a bad mistake is being made and asks the Director. It needs to be possible for him to agree, otherwise the FO is pointless.

> I'd think no one intends for that to be the case.  It's an error due to wording.  What the wording is trying to say is that the AC cannot appeal in the following case:
> Example 2:  AC Review on publishing a Recommendation.  400 AC reps approve publishing.  0 formal objections.  The Director approves publication.  The AC cannot appeal.  No AC member can ask to override if there were no formal objections in the AC review.  That's good, but they worded it so it also bans appeal if the Director rejects publishing when no one objects to publishing!

I think that may be intentional.

> On 2015-03-18 10:28, chaals@yandex-team.ru wrote:
>> 18.03.2015, 18:23, "Michael Champion (MS OPEN TECH)" <Michael.Champion@microsoft.com>
>> :
>>
>>> It's not worth our time to pursue a fix to a hypothetical corner case unless the fix is quick and obvious.  It's clear from the call yesterday and this continuing thread that there is no easy consensus on this topic, so let's close it.
>>>
>>> If this scenario ever comes up, it's a symptom of far worse problems than some vague wording in the process document, and clarity in the process document will do little to solve those problems.
>>>
>> For what it is worth, while it is clear there isn't an easy consensus on whether the fix is worth making, there seems to be very little complicated about the fix itself.
>>
>> cheers

David Singer
Manager, Software Standards, Apple Inc.