Re: Review comments on 3 March 2015 Process Editor's draft

On 2015-03-15 21:56, Stephen Zilles wrote:

> Wayne,
>
> Thank you for your careful review of the document. As I see it, a
> number of your comments (1-4 and 8) are editorial and should be easy
> to fix. There as some, however, that bear discussion prior to agreeing
> on a fix. My comments on these are inline below.

thanks!

> Steve Z

We only have once a year to change the Charter, so waiting means another
year.

This isn't a hypothetical situation - the NFC WG and SysApps WG charters
expired 4 and 5 months ago.  An expired WG that drifts on month after
month traps any abandoned specs in it.  If the WG closed, someone could
ask that the specs be moved to a CG (for the Director and AC to
decide).  Without it closing, the specs just sit there.   It's not clear
then even if Members should quit the WG, since they may then lose the
ability to participate in decisions the expired WG continues to make -
like whether  to abandon specs or to close.

If a WG has a good reason that it needs more time, the Director can very
easily give it an extension, which can be done very quickly. So, why
does a WG ever need to be able to continue after expiration?  Why
wouldn't the Director simply extend the WG?  An extended WG clearly
operates under the patent policy.  Less clear what happens when a WG
without an active Charter publishes TRs and has exclusion periods, or
has the notion of quitting a WG that isn't under Charter.

Benefits of extending the WG rather than allowing unchartered WGs to
operate include: 1) patent licensing obligations are clear for chartered
WGs, but not for WGs with expired charters; 2) the AC can appeal a
Charter extension, but can do nothing at all when W3C management chooses
to operate a WG without a Charter.

I think we should change the Process now.  If the AC or Director don't
agree they can strike that change as part of the AC/Director approval
for the new Process.

On the proposed team rules:
I don't think we should formalize a WG publishing without a valid
Charter.  Do they have an exclusion period for publications without a
valid Charter?  It seems stating those are the rules is a choice to
divorce the patent policy from active Charters in some undefined way
that we probably don't want to get into.   I wouldn't say "extensions
should be used sparingly."  They're better than running an unchartered
WG.  Extentions should be limited to no more than 3 months after the
initial duration of the Charter, so they don't get extended for years.
If something is going on where they can't even get a 1 year charter
identical to the previous one passed to give them more time, than the WG
is in trouble.  So I'd change that to a fixed time limit for total
duration of extensions.