Re: When to close a Working Group?

> I'm not sure what the problem is, and I'm not sure it is a team problem.

I should have phrased what Jeff is reacting to as "to the extent there is a problem here, the team is already empowered to address it."

I agree with Jeff's analysis of the 3 scenarios below.  I interpreted Harry's message as describing scenario #2, and in that case the logical thing is to let the WG continue through their chartered period, then the team can decide whether or not to invest in it going forward.  Or the AC ballot may reveal that there is not enough member support for the WG to continue it.

Scenario #3 is more of  a potential problem, but I agree it's hypothetical unless there are examples that don't come to mind.

So, it would be good to hear of cases where the team thinks they need help from the process to do the right thing and stop wasting resources and reputation on WGs that are unlikely to produce a useful standard.  If laying out the specifics is too delicate a conversation to have in a public forum, the AB might be a better venue than this CG, but hopefully we can publicly discuss facts in a tactful manner.