RE: When to close a Working Group?

> How do we close a chartered Working Group when its clearly gone off the rails and won't produce a useful standard?

I'm sure it's a sensitive topic, but can you give some examples?

The obvious way to close a chartered WG is to wait for its charter to expire and then not renew it.  I don't recall that happening very often.  The Web Services Architecture WG was one "success" story of the team and chairs deciding to pull the plug on an effort that wasn't on the road to success, but that was 10 years ago.  Also note that there is a current AC ballot open in which  someone :-)  formally objected to rechartering the WG until it shows it can reach the milestones identified in its existing charter.

So, my immediate reaction is that this is a team problem: if a WG doesn't show progress, the team shouldn't devote resources to getting its charter extended or renewed. And arguably it's not fair to close a WG until it has had the time period identified in its charter to reach its objectives, so it's not clear that there needs to be a mechanism to shut down WGs before their charters run out.

Another way to look at this: Let's think about how to not charter WGs until there is a spec with a community behind it plus some implementation plans by browsers, frameworks, or tools... and likely IP holders ready to make RF patent commitments. One way to do this would be to more strongly encourage potential WGs to incubate their spec in a Community Group to get at least an initial draft of a spec written down and socialized among implementers and users, and do a Final Specification Agreement to identify those who will make patent commitments.  In short, if we are more selective about chartering only WGs that already have draft specs and  viable communities behind them, we don't have to worry as much about pulling the plug on those that don't get real support.

I haven't thought about this much, but perhaps there should also be a WG->CG transition mechanism so WGs that don't get members or implementers can easily reboot as CGs to give them a chance to refocus and demonstrate they're ready to get back on the Recommendation track.