RE: errata again, responding to the november proposal

Comments in line below
Steve Z

From: Wayne Carr [mailto:wayne.carr@linux.intel.com]
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2015 2:22 PM
To: Stephen Zilles; Revising W3C Process Community Group
Subject: Re: errata again, responding to the november proposal

I think there are too many different things mixed into this and it would be better to have a section just on corrections to an existing Recommendations, so new features wouldn't be part of it at all - just corrections.
[SZ] I am a bit confused. The point of the last sentence in 7.7.2 is that New Features are not part of this section. What made you think they were?

7.7.2 could be renamed "Correcting a Recommendation without creating a new version"

Editorial changes, class 1 and 2, where there are no changes to implementations should be updated frequently directly in the REC.  And as Stephen suggested, it could revert to not require a PR.  Either the WG or W3C staff should be able to do that.  Having known glaring errors in the spec for long periods of time shouldn't be addressed by having to consult some other errata document.

Editorial changes (1 and 2) could be called Edited Recommendations.  A correction that could change implementations (substantive changes to correct text on existing features) could be called Revised Recommendations. And anything more than that would be a regular REC and not discussed in that section other than to say anything else requires a new version starting from FPWD.

Preparation for publishing a Revised Recommendation could use a "Revised Working Draft" that include the unapproved substantive corrections showing the changes from the REC.  RECS could point to one of those along with pointing to an errata list.  It would not be a REC itself, just a draft being used for a future Revised REC.  I think that may address the use case Jeff has been concerned about.

Separate topic - current Process seems to have an error in this section: " Proposed Edited Recommendation" seems to mean class 1 and 2 in the current process.  "Edited Recommendation" seems to include class 3 substantive changes as well and I'm not sure what else. ("In the latter two cases ..." - not clear what that refers to though substantive changes that are not a new feature is right before it so seems likely to be included)
[SZ] I think I understand why you raise this separate topic. The intent was that CR for an Edited REC would next go to Proposed Edited REC to complete an AC Review. However, the text does not make this clear as you note. The changes you suggest would revert the, I believe, unintentional change for classes 1 and 2 and would allow us to add a PER step for class 3.