Re: Comment tracking for navigation-timing CR [Was: Re: publishing new WD of URL spec]

On 12/09/2014 15:39 , Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 9/12/14, 8:48 AM, Jeff Jaffe wrote:
>> Thanks Boris.  So the process issue that we should work on is:
>>
>> How to motivate the W3C Community and WGs to expeditiously and
>> consistently issue errata?  Correct?
>
> That would be a good issue to work on, yes.

I heartily agree with Boris but I would like to strengthen the idea further.

It is understandable that the first version of a given specification may
require time because it often requires banging heads together a fair bit
and trying out ideas. However, once there is a sufficiently stable
release to start from, it ought to be possible to produce the following
iterations in relatively short order, including both errata and
progressive addition of features.

For sufficiently well established parts of the platform, we ought to be
able to issue yearly (or even less) recommendations that simply include
the parts that the WG has been working on that happen to be
interoperably implemented at that time. It would be better than having
to wait n years, having to maintain errata in addition to the improved
document, and it would help avoid second-system syndrome.